Durham County Government is one of only two local governments in the nation to receive the Public Technology Institute (PTI) 2017 Tech Savvy award designation.
For the second consecutive year, the Public Technology Institute (PTI) has awarded Durham County with the Tech Savvy designation. Durham County is noted for having proven exceptional talent, great ideas, a spirit of teamwork and collaboration, creativity, technology leadership and proven technology best practices across the entire enterprise.
As one of only two local governments designated as Tech Savvy for 2017, Durham County met or exceeded the following nine criterions:
- Adhere to a Stated Standard of Ethics
- Performance Management Practices are Embraced and the Government Uses Data/Business Intelligence to Drive Decision-Making
- Department Directors meet on a Regular Basis and have a Good Flow of Communication, and Identify Areas for Collaboration around Technology Solutions
- Professional Development is Encouraged Across the Jurisdiction
- A Jurisdiction-Wide Technology Plan has been Created, Discussed, Documented and Disseminated
- Active Training and Awareness of Cybersecurity and Network Security
- Demonstrated Commitment to Green Technology Initiatives across the Enterprise
- A Culture of Technology Innovation is Embraced
- Adhere to a Stated Standard of Excellence
Durham County’s submission highlighted many new technology initiatives implemented within the past year. Included was the refresh and redesign of the Durham County Website, the Social Services Mobile Application, which was recognized by the National Association of Counties (NACo) with two awards, and the Court Reminder Notification System, which won the 2017 Government Information Grant Award (GIGa). To demonstrate Durham County’s commitment to excellence the submission also discussed the County’s Technology Strategic Plan and IT Governance Framework.
Durham County was awarded the recognition at the PTI Smarter Cities and Counties Conference in Kansas City, MO. Durham County Chief Information Officer, Greg Marrow was present to accept the award and give a presentation about Durham County’s latest technology implementations.
PTI actively supports local government executives and elected officials through research, education, executive-level consulting services, and national recognition programs. For more information about the PTI Tech Savvy Award and organization, visit http://www.pti.org/.